Thursday, April 30, 2009

Volume Three, Number Twenty-nine

While things are still quite busy here at "The Gilbert Homestead" what with developing material for Red Lion Publications
( http://redlionpublications.blogspot.com ), researching a couple of books and looking for a penciler to work on the revival of my "Mister Chameleon" series ( http://misterchameleon.blogspot.com ) I'm taking a few minutes away from that insanity to share with you a comic that crossed my desk a few weeks back.
By the way, I'm not quite sure when I'll be returning to writing this column on a regular basis-I am currently looking at some time around the middle of May-but while you wait why not visit the two blogs my buddy The Groovy Agent is scribing. They can be found at http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com and http://blindedmewithcomics.blogspot.com . But don't go there yet. First take a few minutes to read what I have to say about the comic I got.

-------------------------

IN FLESH AND SPIRIT NO. 1 Winter, 2009. Published by Overtone Comics. Suggested for mature readers. Full color cover with 24 inside black & white pages. $3.50 U.S. Written and edited by Baron Misuraca, art by David G. Williams, grey tones by Jarreau Wimberly, lettering by Karen Levin and Baron Misuraca and color cover by Alex Horley.Website found at www.vasaria.com .

I usually don't review comics for mature readers but to be honest I can't for the life of me see why this comic is labeled as such. Don't get me wrong. It ain't something you'd send out to members of The Mickey Mouse Fan Club by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't though what I would regard as a mature title and actually I've seen more blood and guts on such TV shows as "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and "Battlestar Galactica". So if you can handle shows like that you should easily be able to handle this comic. 'Nuff said on that subject.

According to the press release that accompanied this issue IN FLESH AND SPIRIT is about the origin and adventures of a vampired named Baron Misuraca who came into being in the 14th-century and continues to live today. If that name sounds familiar it should as Baron Misuraca is the writer and editor of this comic as well as a member of the goth band Vasaria.

If you are like me and are somewhat indifferent to the whole goth thing don't allow that to stop you from picking up this comic as it is quite a good read. While mention is made of the good Baron being a member of the above-mentioned goth band basically what IN FLESH AND SPIRIT is is a well-written vampire tale (with an excellent cover by DC/HEAVY METAL/VAMPIRELLA artist Alex Horley).

If I were to have one complaint about his comic-besides of course that it is printed on that darn glossy paper that I absolutely hate-it's that the dialogue needs some work. If anything this comic is a prime example of why, with a few exceptions, a writer should always have an editor.

Despite that though this is none the less a good comic and worth picking up if you see it on the stands at your local comics shop. Basically, it's an enjoyable read and that's all one can ask for, eh.

-------------------------
That's pretty much it, folks. If you are following this column at www.jazmaonline.com/edispatch be sure to occasionally visit http://dispatchesfromthegreatwhitenorth.blogspot.com where you will not only find this column but some great links and installments of E-Dispatches that are exclusive to that blog site. I'll be back soon. Promise.

No comments: